-arrived and found myself getting a weird kick out of being completely disorientated. I got off the train and thought, "Ok. I don't have a map. Where am I?" but instead of that panicking me.. I really enjoyed it!
-got very lost
-watched Birdman and got talking to the guy next to me. He and his friend asked me if I'd join them for a drink and then we got hungry and ordered food and then ta da! I was having dinner with 2 strangers. (I didn't actually drink anything because YOUNG GIRL GETTING DRUNK IN UNKNOWN CITY, y'know? street smartz.) Birdman #1 was from Ghana, wrote free verse poetry and played table tennis. Birdman #2 was from Mauritius and apparently used to write a really angry film blog.
-went into a traditional Japanese print gallery/shop and the lady took so much time explaining how the prints were made.
-in the afternoon I sat journaling in a cafe with sellotape and scissors, shredding pieces of paper but no one seemed to mind. The coffee lady gave me a tea on the house because I sat there for so long!
-that night I watched The Theory Of Everything which was fine. It felt less acceptable to go and see that film alone, partly because I was sitting next to a couple who grossed me out with their public displays of affection.
-had breakfast with a life guard from Hong Kong who wore flip flops
-I saw a band play. This was COMPLETELY out of my comfort zone and I spent a while panicking in the toilet cubicle like WHAT AM I DOING HERE ALONE? WHY AM I HERE??? Then after cruisin' on the sidelines for a bit I actually went up to spoke to people which sounds like nothing but it was a Big Deal. I met a guy and we went for a drink in a pub that claimed to be Guy Fawkes' birthplace. He had recently gotten back from a year in Japan which was really interesting to hear about because that's kind of similar to what I'm thinking of doing after uni!
-the next morning I went for coffee with birdman #1 and then left york 4eva






what a cool adventure! ahh this is so inspiring! I've always wanted to go to the cinema alone or to gigs alone but I always chicken out. Sounds like you had a great time, I should give it a go! btw I went to see Birdman too! what did you think of it?
ReplyDeleteAida
xx
http://sunshinesuperwoman.blogspot.co.uk
For some reason it's a lot easier to do when you're in another town/city? I'd feel uncomfortable if I was around people I vaguely knew. Perhaps that's just me? Birdman. BURDMAN. I loved the way it was shot! The drummer! It featured one of my favourite short stories too! SO much love for that movie. What about you?
DeleteI like all these snaps from your travels :) I really like exploring places alone sometimes. I think I've been doing it since I went to college, and I'm a bit more used to showing up to events alone and trying to meet people there, but it's always a bit awkward haha. But it's also really freeing! Plus you usually meet and talk with people you wouldn't normally.
ReplyDeleteYour journal is really interesting. I used to collage so much and I don't anymore and I miss it. Hanging out in coffee shops, gluing things together or writing sounds so good to me right now.
I hope you decide to venture out alone more often, I think you tend to see things differently when you don't have someone with you and that can be interesting.
/ okaythanksmaria
Thanks for this!
DeleteWhen I go somewhere alone I always come away from the event feeling so much braver! I've found it can actually be enjoyable to put yourself out of your comfort zone every now and again.
Thanks, I don't collage as much as I'd like to because it is SO time consuming and it's a lot easier to just scribble down thoughts instead. I find it really relaxing though so making time for it is always worth it!